The Leon County Bicycle Route Network connects the community by designating bicycle-friendly roadways between destinations. A bicycle route is typically an existing roadway with lower traffic volumes that is more comfortable for cycling. Roadways identified as part of the route network illustrate that riders can easily and safely reach many destinations by cycling without having to use busy roadways more suited to automobile traffic. In the future, these bike routes will be identified by directional and informational signage.
Our Goal: Make Cycling Easy and Fun! We want to make riding a bike an easy and comfortable part of daily life for everyone. A key first step is making it easier to plan your ride. Use the bike route map to find the routes that you're most comfortable with and get you where you want to go. If you are new to cycling around town or never visited our community, the bike routes are a great mix of cross-town routes and fun rides that will help you explore Tallahassee.
In addition to the bike routes, the map features other tools that will make it easier to ride Tallahassee:
- Bicycle Facilities: See where bike lanes, multi-use paths, and shared roadways are located along your route.
- Comfort Ratings: Choose your route based the comfort level of the ride. Major roads have been rated for comfort by looking at the speed limit, number of lanes, traffic volumes, preference among cyclists and type of uses along the road (residential, commercial).
You Don't Need to Be Brave to Ride a Bike in Tallahassee! Bikes are legal on all Leon County roadways, but some roads are more comfortable than others. The Bike Route Map and the road comfort ratings are meant to help you plan routes by providing information on level of riding comfort on major roads in our community. Neighborhood streets are not mapped by comfort because these local streets are typically lower volume and more comfortable for most cyclists.
- High Comfort Roadways – Typically low speed facilities with a single travel lane for each direction of traffic. Bike lanes may be present or sharing is comfortable on this roadway.
- Medium Comfort Roadways – Roadways with higher traffic volumes and/or higher posted speeds compared to high comfort facilities. Be ready to interact with cars.
- Low Comfort Roadways – Typically multi-lane or median-separated roadways with bicycle facilities or shared roadways with higher speeds and volumes. Be ready to interact with cars.
- Very Low Comfort Roadways – Multi-lane roadways with speeds posted 40 MPH or higher. May or may not have bicycle facilities.
These maps are helpful, but remember to use common sense! If you don't feel comfortable on a given route, choose a different one. Conversely, you may know a quiet residential street that is perfect for bike riding but isn t listed on a bike map. Have fun exploring!
Disclaimer: This map illustrates popular bicycle routes that have been identified by the City of Tallahassee and Leon County, who assume no liability for bicyclists traveling on these routes and therefore bicyclists assume a risk while using these routes identical to the risks assumed on all other roadways.
A detailed story map and virtual tour of each bike route. Sights and attractions are highlighted, with pictures and links to help your plan your cycling adventures in Tallahassee! Take the Tour!
All about trails in Leon County, with descriptions, photos, and videos to help plan your outdoor adventure. The 'Find A Trail' function locates facilities by activity, surface, or neighborhood. Visit Trailahassee!
Highlights the best parks, trails, and hidden gems in the city not available via other map services. Search for a trail by Trail Marker; scan a QR code on the trail for your location relative to the trail/park, and browse a list of Parks and Trails. Also available as an app: Android / Apple